Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Friday, September 3, 2010

Of Parasites and Jeepneys

Dear Rylan:
     I am very busy here in Olongapo City. We have class all day Monday-Friday, and half a day on Saturday. Half of our training is to prepare us for our teaching assignments; the rest of the time we study Tagalog.  I visited my college site this week and was able to introduce myself in the local language, albeit with a Southern accent!  Here goes my spiel:  "Magandang umaga.  Ako po si Margaret Pickett.  Taga Alabama, America ako.  Sa ngayon, nakatira ako sa Mabayuan, Olongapo city.  Titser ako sa Ingles."  I have learned many phrases to use in classroom settings, but my favorite is "Nalilito ako," which means, "I am confused."  I would like to have a t-shirt that has that phrase on it, since it describes me most of the time!
     Yesterday, two of my PC friends and I ventured into town to the bookstore.  To reach the local mall takes only one Jeepney ride, the red line.  Riding on Jeepneys is AWESOME! Imagine squeezing 16 people into a space made for 10 or 12.  Now imagine that this takes place in heat and humidity so high that sweat never evaporates from your skin!  People jump on and off the Jeepney as they need to.  The rate is 7 pesos, regardless of the length of the ride.  We pass our money to the driver, from one person to another.  If you pay him directly, you say, "Bayad po"; if you are passing forward another's fare, you say, "Bayad dau" (again, I am not a good speller in this language).  The amazing thing is how the driver can just feel the money and count it, whether it's bills or coins or a mix, and make change, all without looking at any of it.
     Anyway, the trip to Olongapo turned into a trip through the Gate and into SBMA, which is what the area that was the American base is called.  There, we took a free shuttle ride to the National Bookstore.  Oh my!  School supplies are expensive here, at least in terms of pesos.  Since I only have a couple of thousand pesos for survival money, 92 pesos for a pen, a highlighter, some note cards, and a folder is pretty steep.  But I had American money left over that I used.  In that case, it only cost me $2.  But since I don't live on American money, I felt the pinch of that purchase!  At Royal, one of the duty-free stores there in SBMA, some things are priced in pesos.  These items tend to be inexpensive.  But some things have American prices, and again, since I live on a pittance of pesos, I could not afford the $3 M&Ms, because that translates into 150 pesos.  I have to be mindful of my budget.  I did have to buy American shampoo, however.  But sometimes a girl just has to do what a girl has to do!  P400 was worth it!
I will never figure out why things here cost what they do.  For instance, I got a great bargain--in American standards--for a haircut.  My new short 'do only cost me P50.  That's right!  A haircut here costs $1.  And the salon is very nice and the young woman (Precious is her name) is very skilled.  I am pleased with the results, and Precious said she'd color my hair (and thank goodness I have my own hair coloring because there is NO blonde or light brown hair color in this country!) for P200.  Coooool!
     The PCMO (PC medical officer/doctor) visited our site last week and did a very graphic presentation on parasites.  We not only learned about ringworm, hookworms, tapeworms, amoeba, and other disgusting parasites, we saw pictures of them and learned that if we think we have one, we'll have to perform test slides of our poop, or use scotch tape to get a sample of an area that is not fit for posting.  But, you get the idea.  I have heard that one is not considered a real PC volunteer until one has had an amoeba.  Parasites, however, are optional. Let's hope they remain a mere possibility and never a reality for your Mumma.
     Our trainers here are native Filipinas.  They are wonderful, dedicated women who make being here easier.  They make sure we have access to things we need and to things we want. For instance, one day after making courtesy calls, we finally were allowed to visit Red Ribbon, a restaurant chain specializing in baked goods.  We sat and talked and enjoyed our treats.
      I hope to experience Jollibee soon.  It's a chain of restaurants that seem to be like McDonald's.  Of course, McDonald's is also here, and I am craving a Big Mac.  A taste of home would certainly be welcome! It's worth a splurge.
     I am enjoying my host family.  The teenagers are pleasant to sit and talk with.  Last night the kids and Tess and I got caught up in a discussion of literature, particularly mythology.  These teens know their Greek mythology, and they have filled me in on some Filipino folk tales as well.  We were up past 10 p.m., and then I remembered that I had to prepare an activity for my training, and I didn't make it to bed until midnight.
     I still don't sleep for long here.  It's really messed me up that the days are almost 12 hours of daylight/12 hours of dark exactly.  I learned this week that close to the equator, days are pretty much the same year round, as far as day/night are concerned.  Only in the latitudes far away from the equator do the lengths of light/dark change.  So, in other words, the sun (araw) rises around 6 p.m. and sets around 7 p.m--365 days/year.  Also, since we have been here in Mabayuan, we haven't seen stars nor moon, as the sky is always cloudy.
     Speaking of clouds, that reminds me that we are enduring yet a third typhoon since arriving here in the Philippines.  It has rained hard for two nights in a row.  It is raining hard again right now.  They tell me I'll miss the rain when the dry season comes.  They say the heat will be much worse.  They also say that I will adjust and that weather won't be an issue at some point.  Filipinos say there are only different kinds of good weather here.  I can say that rain does not deter them.  They travel and work and play regardless of conditions.  I will say, however, that I do prefer the weather back home.  I know I will miss cool autumn nights and the changing leaves.  So, Rylan, you enjoy that for me.  Get out there and rake those leaves and run through the pile and throw those leaves into the air, as we did together last fall.
     And enjoy everything else that is good there back home:  chocolate and paper towels and toilet paper and potatoes and milk and cereal.  These are all things I miss.
     But most of all, I miss YOU!  And your parents and Uncle Caleb, too.  When I get back there, hugs and kisses will be plentiful!  I will need to make up for all the days I have missed riding to school with you, singing Wee Sing Bible songs and talking about our lives.  I miss spending time with you reading books and dancing and jumping on the bed.
     I love you VERY, VERY much.  Take care, my sweet girl.

Mumma
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment