Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hard Work AND Fun

Dear Rylan:
The past week was a blur! There was so much to do that I cannot remember all that has happened, so I will touch on the major points.  First of all, we were all introduced to PACA (Participatory Analysis for Community Action). This approach to community improvement seems to be THE focus of Peace Corps service. It's all about changing the communities where we live for the better in a way that will continue after the Peace Corps volunteer returns home. It's a great plan. But I feel a little PACA fatigue after 7 days of it. The best thing about the PACA training was meeting the two PCVs who came to train us--Tom and Maria. Their excitement for their jobs in the Peace Corps was encouraging. On the day we presented our planned program to our community's members, our group was also graced with the arrival of some VIPs: Sonia--the country director--and Helen, the national director for Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asia--came for a visit. It was an honor to have them with us.

This week was cooking week in language class. We had to shop for our foods at the market, and once again, I used the ol' "sige na po" to bargain with the vendors. They thought it was so funny that Americans were attempting to speak Tagalog that they agreed to come down. I don't think this technique will work indefinitely. Everyone in the cluster pitched in at cooking time. I cooked Lumpia Shanghai, which is very much like an egg roll. (When I return home, I will be cooking us some lumpia!) We also had turon, which is banana fried in a wrapper. Delish! (That, too, will be on the menu when I return.) Patoh Pat (I know it as suman), which is sticky rice that is sweetened and steamed, and pancit, a noodle dish with vegetables and tofu, were included on the menu as well. Throw in some local fruits such as rambutan and lanzones and you have a merienda (snack) fit for a king and queen!

The same day that we cooked, I received two large packages from my Sunday school class. What fun! It was better than Christmas! I shared the snacks with my friends and lent the DVDs to my language teacher (I have never seen Medy giddy, and it was a treat to see her so excited), but I am hoarding the school supplies just for me. Snacks are pretty easy to get here, but good school supplies are not, so I am justifying my selfishness that way.

Saturday night a few of us went with a friend from the Kalalake cluster to Olongapo City's launching of its 2010 City Fiesta. Steven was going because one of his host brothers is in the Mr. Olongapo City contest, and we all went out of curiosity. Let's just say that it started in true Filipino fashion (1 1/2 hours late), and it was pretty snazzy. I thought it was pretty funny when it started to rain and the entire audience, without blinking an eye, picked up their chairs and crowded around on the stage area, right up to the edge of the show! When the rain stopped, we all just returned our chairs to the original seating area. They also served food to the crowd while the ceremony was going on. One of the selections was hot dog on a stick with a marshmallow. I kid you not! And yes, I ate one, but just because I was dared. The mayor was told that Peace Corps members were in the audience, and he made it a point to acknowledge the Peace Corps, then came to shake our hands at the end. Mayor Bong is one unusual man. He puts American politicians to shame because he is colorful without the controversy. Very colorful!

Yesterday was a stay-at-home day. Ariel was gracious enough to color my hair, and I like the results. The color is darker than usual, but I am, after all, in the Philippines! Everyone here has black hair, and with dark hair, maybe fewer people will stare at me in public. My blonde hair really stands out here, and not in a good way, as far as I am concerned.

This week will be either the worst or the best week yet. I have to teach 2 days and Thursday will be the culmination of our PACA plan, with all 6 of us conducting a teacher workshop on learning styles for the Gordon College instructors. It will be our first official foray into Filipino presentations. I will let you know how it goes. I expect to gain more from the experience than I will give.

I have included on this week's blog a picture of my room here in the Atayan home. It's a nice room, but I have wrecked the place with all of the stuff I have thrown around. I live mostly out of suitcases because, after all, in a few weeks I will be going away. I will miss this place and this family. I have been blessed by these people, and I will always remember Tess, Ariel, Renz, Isa, Bibioy, Ia, and Mama Nitz. I wish you could meet them, Rye.

Love and miss you,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment