Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Saturday, September 11, 2010

All Kinds of Rules!

Dear Rylan,
Another week has passed here in Olongapo City. Time here drags by and flies by at the same time.  We are very busy, so days seem to be a blur.  But I miss you and home and so the time drags by, if that makes any sense. It's what happens when one is far from home, I guess. The thought of home is surreal. I dream of people and places in Alabama, and these dreams make me happy and sad. I am convinced that world travel will always produce these juxtaposed feelings.

I have posted some pictures from the waterfront at Subic. There are many memorials there, mostly to events in WWII.  The hellships monument is dedicated to the POWs in WWII who were held on Japanese ships. Their suffering must have been great. Of course, the Japanese held the Philippines for a while, and that period was one of anguish for Filipinos. I have also posted a picture of an American naval ship, here on maneuvers for 3 weeks, I think. I haven't seen any military men and women in Olongapo. We heard they were on restrictions and could not leave SBMA. We here in the Peace Corps have been given rules related to traveling into SBMA. The world is a crazy place, Rylan. World events impact American travels abroad, even if the place where we are traveling is very safe. A PCV was murdered in South Africa; a pastor in the U.S. announced plans to burn the Koran. Both of these events, as far removed as they are from us here in the PI, have resulted in precautions and rules for us. But the pendulum swings both ways, and patience will reward us with a lifting of restrictions soon, I hope. I am beginning to get cabin fever because I cannot just go out on my own and go places that I would like to visit or even place I need to go, like the drugstore or the bookstore.

But I have traveled to the beach, and yesterday the Kalalake cluster and our Mabayuan cluster met at a local bowling alley. It was up a long flight of steps and there was no AC.  I did not bowl, but did agree to videoke. Then we all went to the public market.  I was able to use my newfound knowledge of haggling and said, "Sige na po" to a vendor who laughed and agreed to give me a discount. It was kind of fun. (Sige na po is similar to "aw, come on, please.") We had lunch at McDonald's and it was delicious! Big Macs taste like America! I have also had some pizza here and that, too, was amazing. American food is a much welcome treat.

Of course, Mama Nitz continues to cook great food here at home.  When I returned from McDonald's, I was presented with lumpia, which Mama Nitz knows is my favorite, so I had to eat again. But it was worth it! Lumpia is masarap!

Training is tough. I feel as if I am back in education classes at college. They are sucking up all the time I should be spending on language. The rules for Tagalog must exist, but I can't figure them out.  Except for verb conjugation, which has rules, but I don't know enough verbs to really get my brain around the rules. (At this point, I breathe deeply and remind myself that I have only been here 2 weeks.)

Last Saturday we traveled to Royal, the duty free store again. I bought toilet paper, baby powder, and a BLOW DRYER! I'll need it soon, so I got one while I had the chance. Kind of expensive--P1200, or $30 US. But I have a few American dollars so I convinced myself it was OK. I bought the kids some small packs of M&Ms, too.

Saturdays and Sundays are big family days in the PI, as they are in the states. Every Sat and Sun afternoon, I can count on snack time! Usually we have goodies from the bakery, and we sit and watch the little ones perform. I have been using a few Tagalog phrases, and yesterday I think B'boy mistakenly figured that I could now speak his language. He brought his toys in my room and was sharing with me at full speed! So cute...so disappointed in Tita Mags. But at least he has faith in me, and someday maybe I'll surprise him and carry on a real conversation. Ia is getting used to me, and Angel even comes around me, but oh! I cannot touch! So we play peek-a-boo and I laugh at her love for wearing other people's shoes. She actually gets around in high heels better than I do. : )

The weather has been dryer lately. No typhoons (know on wood). But dryer means hotter. However, I think I am getting used to the weather. I learned this week that drinking lots of cold drinks could lead to a sore throat--after I had gotten a sore throat. So I am now cutting back on the water consumption, and I think it's helping my body to adapt. The things you learn by trial and error! Medical last Tuesday was about tropical diseases like malaria and dengue fever, both from mosquito bites. Oh, and TB is on the rise here, too. I don't worry about such diseases. I feel safe, at least in these surroundings.

Next week we have our site placement interview, which will help the PC figure out where to send me for my permanent post. I am still hoping for a beach area, preferably one that is a tourist area so I can trust that some locals will know English. Oh, and this week we learned to count money and tell time. But they use Spanish #s for money and time here, so it wasn't too hard for me. They use Tagalog #s 1-10 for money sometimes, but most vendors use English #s. Does that sound confusing? Well, it is. Jeepney drivers ask "Ilan?" for how many, and the answer is in Tagalog. While I know that and try that, they seem to not understand me when I respond, "Isa" for 1, or any other # in Tagalog. But I try. And English works all the time, as does the holding up of fingers.

You can learn 1-10, too: Isa, dalawa, tatlo, apat, lima, anim, pito, walo, siyam, sampu. When I learn colors, I'll let you know so you can practice.  Also, you can learn to say your name: Ako si Rylan. 

Mahal kita! (I love you!) Take care of yourself and Mommy and Daddy, and Uncle Caleb, too, whenever he comes around. 

Love,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment