Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Saturday, October 16, 2010

They love a parade!

Dear Rylan:

Another week has flown by. It went so quickly that I spent Thursday believing it was Wednesday. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I had lost a day! I suppose that just means that I have been too busy to notice time.

It is election time in the barangay. Filipinos have a very colorful political process. One day while we were in language class, a parade came through the neighborhood, with music and bullhorns and people carrying signs and waving! We were so excited that we all jumped up from our chairs and ran out into the yard to watch.  It is a good thing that our language trainer, Medy, wants us to soak up the culture. We were forgiven for our spontaneity. Later that same day, ANOTHER parade came through the streets. My next-door neighbor must be running for something because I can hear him next door practicing his campaign song. I don’t understand the words, but it has a catchy tune.  One of the daughters in my host family is running for SK Chairman.  The best I can determine about this position is that it involves organizing the youth in the barangay to participate in community projects. Ariel is only 15, so I think it is great that young people become involved in the political process here.  Another interesting element of elections in this country is how many people want to be involved in politics. I think I heard that there are 67 candidates running for 7 spots? Wow! I don’t know if there are many people left to vote that aren’t running!  Things around here are going to continue to be interesting until October 25. Let’s hope Ariel wins. She is very capable of doing anything she sets her mind to do. I am proud to be associated with her family.

We also visited the Olongapo City Museum. It was very interesting because it was so…well…nice. Even when the information was about the invasions and occupations and colonization, there were no negative comments. Everything was presented as factual. Just reporting what happened. But when we reached that part of the museum that illustrated how the people rebuilt their city once the Americans (the last colonial power here) relinquished control, the pride of the people shone through. Again, at the exhibit about coming back after Mt. Pinatubo erupted, I saw the determination and optimism of the citizens. I asked my host sister Tess why the museum does not address the atrocities and injustices of the past, and she gave me a very Filipino answer: The people today don’t want to blame the people of the present for the things that happened in the past. Filipinos want to achieve and / or maintain friendly relations even with those who may not have treated them well. She said the government does not want to plant hatred in the hearts of the people nor does it want to stir up anger. What an interesting country this is!

Of course, I cannot let this week pass without mentioning the anniversary of your Papa’s death. I have been sad this week. Without my family and friends back home, I have felt burdened. No one here really knows about my past, and I have chosen not to go into detail. But this morning—the day that marks 3 years since I lost the love of my life—two of my Peace Corps friends greeted me at our Saturday meeting with a box of Dunkin’ Donuts munchkins—in honor of my own Duncan. So, you see, even far away from home, God finds a way to show Himself in the kindness of others. I may be far from home, but I am not alone.

And if we are patient, our prayers are answered. I was reminded of this today when my host sister Tess told me that she had wished for something when she was four years old, and that her prayer was not answered until August of this year. I asked her what her wish had been, and she said, "When I was four, I asked my father, if I have a sister, what will her name be? And he said it would be Margaret." Wow! Hearing that gave me goosebumps! So if I have come here for no other reason, it is in answer to Tess's hope for a sister. She and I are as close as sisters, and I am so happy to call her friend. 

Still, I miss you and your parents and your Uncle Caleb. I love you SO MUCH! Please know that I think of you every single day, and I look forward to the day when I can get a hug in person. Until then, accept hugs from far away ((((()))))).

Love you bunches,
Mumma


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tita Mags! I've read some of your blog.. and i saw this. . haha . i remembered that day when I'm running as an SK Chairman , i didn't win but it's fine I don't really have that interest on politics. I mean its a good thing , there are good people who have good interest for being on that position but of course there are also bad ones, and no matter how good you are, you can't be around with them. And oh my gosh! I'm just 15 back then , i cant believe that time runs that fast cant imagine 5 years?. I miss you tita Mags. we miss you so much. I love you and take care always.! I'll cooked lumpia just for you,I wished I could send it to you. Do you want me to make a video tutorial of how to cook lumpia? . haha. just email me.

    lots of love,
    -Arielle

    ReplyDelete