Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Friday, October 22, 2010

Homecoming and Hibernation

Dear Rylan:

Traveling from Asia to America is a hassle. My trip involved 20 hours of flight time and 3 planes. I do not know how many security checks occurred: I just lost count somewhere along the way. I do know that every airport involved at least 3 screenings. I think the tactic is to wear the terrorists down so they don't even care anymore about carrying out an attack.

When I was flying out of Narita, we rose above the clouds just enough to see the end of a magnificent sunset. And I realized then that the sunset I was seeing was actually the sunrise you were seeing at that very moment (assuming you were awake and noticing the sunrise). Half a world apart, and yet we were connected.

Getting home has been pretty anti-climactic. The best part was arriving and seeing you and your parents! How wonderful to see you in person and hear your voice. Sorry that since then I have been unconscious. Nine weeks of sleep deprivation has a way of catching up on a person. The fog is beginning to lift, however, so maybe we can have some quality time soon. It's just nice to know that you are only a room away for now instead of a world away.

I am excited about seeing my friends again. I have stories to share, but their lives have been full and sweet, and I want to hear what has been going on with them, too. Lots of catching up. But the truth is that right now, anyway, I miss my friends overseas very much. I feel as if something important was interrupted and now I will never know how that could have ended. Unfinished business is bothersome.

But life moves on, regardless of our decisions. We cannot really plan the future, but we can plan to negotiate the terms!

I love you, and I am glad to be back home with you and all my friends and family. As soon as I wake up, I will emerge from this room and greet the new day that awaits me for the rest of my life.

Love,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment