Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Oh my! What you're missing!

Dear Rylan,
     Last night you slept over here, and we spent today pursuing whatever we wanted to pursue.  In this case, it was a pursuit of fun in Orr Park--wading in the creek, eating a picnic lunch, romping on the playground, finding the carvings on the trees.
     For a moment last night, I lapsed into that funk that sneaks up on me from time to time.  I mumbled, "Oh, Duncan.  I miss you so much."  As soon as I said it, I thought, "No, Duncan.  Look what you're missing.  Your precious granddaughter is growing and learning every day.  She is pure and sweet and kind.  There is so much to experience for the first time all over again through her eyes.  You would have loved every chance you had to spend with her, and here you're missing it."
     Of course, he isn't missing all of this by choice.  He didn't mean to leave us so soon.  Today, when you said that Aunt Dot was in Heaven, you went on to reassure me it was OK because we would see her again,   You later added, "But when we get to Heaven, we can never come back to Earth again.  I don't want to leave Earth forever."  I suspect that your Papa Duncan had the same feelings--reassured that he would see us again, but not wanting to leave us.
     I don't know how death works.  I told you that discussing theology with you was giving me a headache, but only because I am so limited in what I can understand.  I suspect that you understand more than I do.  Here is what I do understand:  You make living fun, and I love you for making my grown-up days once again childlike.

Love,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment