Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

Friday, March 18, 2011

Routine. . . or Rut?

Dear Rylan:

Spring is returning. Just this week, you and I traveled with Uncle Caleb and Erin to the zoo on a very pleasant March afternoon.  Today the world is sunny and hot.  Not hot like the Philippines, but hot enough. It seems a bit of a shock after all the cold weather we have endured.

Currently, I am working as a pharmacy technician at Walgreens. I have always wanted to try this occupation, and since I cannot find work as a teacher right now, I have been blessed with the chance to learn something new. It is important to try new things. Of course, there is something to be said for routine and stability.  I enjoyed both for many years. But now that I am alone, I am taking advantage of trying new things and going new places.

I still keep in touch with my friends in the Peace Corps and my host family in Mabayuan. Arielle is graduating from high school this month.  I wish I could attend her graduation.  Perhaps one day I will see her and the family again.

The Philippines is always on my mind.  Funny how only a few weeks there could have made me love it so much.  Somedays I wish I had toughed it out, but then I think of all I would have missed here at home if I had not returned when I did.  I am glad, for instance, that I had the chance to see my friend Rose.  She and I always had so much fun together.  No one could have known that she would become ill and pass away.  I am glad I had time with her before her death.

I am also glad that I have been able to enjoy my family.  Being with all of you gives me joy.

My life is resuming a routine again.  I will work hard to avoid falling into a rut by taking advantage of new opportunities, meeting new people, and counting my blessings.

Life can change in a moment. Just when you think that your life is going as planned, something horrible or something wonderful can come along and change everything.  Not knowing how this day will go, but being as prepared as possible to handle its surprises, gives me a reason to get out of bed each day.

Thank you for being such a wonderful granddaughter.  I want you to know that you are the smartest, sweetest, most beautiful little girl ever!

Hugs and kisses,
Mumma

1 comment: